The plant broke ground in 1955 and was fully operational in 1956. The Sandusky Chamber of Commerce welcomed the Ford representatives and a dinner in October 1955. The event was attended by more than 450 people. Some of the people that attended were Chamber President John Gaking and John French, general manager of the Parts and Equipment Division of Ford Motor Company. Also there was the new Sandusky Plant Manager Edward Hilderbrandt.
The plant was to be 690,000 square feet with 30,000 square feet of office space. The plant was placed on 194 acres and would produce a variety of automotive hardware parts. It was an estimated $7 million for construction. In 1955 there were between 1,500 and 1,800 job applications without advertising. By June 1956 there were 450 hourly employees and 375 salary. The plant was hoping to have 2,500 workers by the next spring.
In 1963 the plant added door lock assembly line. A 151,500 square foot addition was started in 1965. In 1965 the plant was producing vent windows, window regulators, zinc and aluminum die cast parts, starter drives, bumper jacks, door locks, air cleaners, and lamps. The plant has grown in size from 720,000 square feet to 1.2 million square feet and from 194 acres to 355 acres.
The facility started the transition from Ford to an IPS plant near the turn of the century. It was spun off as Visteon and then as ACH. In 2012, the plant was purchased by Flex-N-Gate and became a part of their Ventra Plastics Division, where more than 2,000 employees produce high quality automotive headlamps and tail lamps for some of the largest automakers in the world. For information about financing check out quick guaranteed payday loans