- The 37th Constitutional Convention has kicked off! Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan has welcomed the delegates to the city of Detroit. President Dennis Williams has presented Heather McGhee, President of Demos, with the Owen Bieber Social Activist Award. The Resolutions Committee has taken the stage and debates on proposed resolutions have begun. Rev. Dr. Wendell Anthony, President of the Detroit NAACP, spoke to the delegates. President Dennis Williams wrapped up Day 1 by giving a State of the Union Address.
- The Convention continues on Day 2, as Teamsters President James P. Hoffa gives an energizing speech to the delegates. Vice President Cindy Estrada has taken the podium as debates on proposed resolutions continues. The Rules Committee and Credentials Committee gave updates on roll call voting. Derrick Johnson, President and CEO of the NAACP has taken the stage to give an amazing speech about togetherness and solidarity. Debate on Constitutional Resolutions has begun.
- The first Constitutional Resolution to be debated is Article 16: Dues and Initiation Fees. The proposed resolution calls for union dues to remain at 2.5 hours until the Strike and Defense Fund reaches $850 million. When the fund reaches $850 million, dues will revert back to the previous 2 hours. If the fund dips below a minimum of $650 million, dues will become 2.5 hours. After much discussion and debate, the delegates moved in support of the proposed resolution. A motion has passed to accept the proposed resolution.
- Day 3 of the Convention is underway. Resolutions continue to be read and debated. AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka is now speaking to the delegation. UAW President Dennis Williams is giving an emotional farewell address. President Williams will be missed by Local 1216 members. Enjoy your retirement, Dennis! Dennis Williams gave a farewell bio for outgoing Region 9A Director Julie Kushner. Region 1D Director Gerald Kariem read a farewell bio for outgoing Region 1 Director Chuck Hall. The Resolution, Credentials, and Rules Committees all gave their final reports.
- Nominations and Elections are underway. The first nominations will be for the office of President. Nominations are open.
- Jason Starr nominates Gary Jones. Brother Jones accepts nomination.
- Scott Houldieson nominates Gary Walkowicz. Brother Walkowicz accepts nomination.
- Abraham Elam nominates Brian Keller. Brother Keller accepts nomination.
- Nominations for President are closed.
- Nominations for Secretary-Treasurer are now open:
- Gary Roseboro nominates Ray Curry. Brother Curry accepts nomination.
- Abraham Elam nominates Dennis Voytko. Brother Voytko accepts nomination.
- Nominations for Secretary-Treasurer are closed.
- Nominations for Vice-President are now open:
- Bernie Ricke nominates Rory Gamble. Brother Gamble accepts nomination.
- David Greenhalgh nominates Terry Dittes. Brother Dittes accepts nomination.
- John Zimmick nominates Cindy Estrada. Sister Estrada accepts nomination.
- Scott Houldieson nominates Sharon Bell. Sister Bell accepts nomination.
- Nominations for Vice-President are now closed.
- Nominations for Trustee are now open:
- Elena R. nominates Roger Wunderlin. Brother Wunderlin accepts nomination.
- Greg Thompson nominates Heather Keag. Sister Keag accepts nomination.
- Nominations for Trustee are now closed.
- Election for President of the International UAW is underway. Each local delegation is casting their votes.
The following officers have been elected to the International UAW:
Gary Jones – President
Ray Curry – Secretary Treasurer
Cindy Estrada, Terry Dittes, and Rory Gamble – Vice-Presidents
Roger Wunderlin and Heather Keag – Trustees
Rich Rankin has been re-elected as Regional Director of Region 2-B!
Congratulations, Brother Rankin, and congratulations to the brothers and sisters elected to the other International positions!
- The final day of the Constitutional Convention has arrived. Election results have been announced with the total votes cast for each candidate. The installation ceremony was held and newly elected President Gary Jones gave a speech to the delegation. The remaining resolutions have been read and debated. Michigan gubernatorial candidate, Gretchen Whitmer speaks at the Convention. The finishing touches have been put on a successful Constitutional Convention. A motion to adjourn has been made and carried.
For information about financing check out payday easy loans